Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our Burdens will be Light

Today was the first time I have been to my singles ward in about a month and let me just say it was the PERFECT sunday to return to. Church today was AMAZING. I felt the spirit so strongly through all of the meeting.
During sacrament the speakers talked about the words of the prophet. The speakers were 3 recently returned missionaries. All good looking by the way :) ha but all of the talks were so good! A few words stuck out to me.


  • Life is hard. It isn't going to be easy. That's just how it is. BUT, if we do what is right, follow the commandments, and listen and obey the prophet, life will be doable. Our burdens will be made light and life will be a lot easier than if we didn't do those things. 
  • Faith. We need to have faith. Just like Moses with his serpent. All the people had to do to be healed was LOOK at the serpent. How simple is that? It is too simple. Our Father in Heaven can see the big picture. He knows what we need in life and when we need it. We need to have faith in him and do his will and we will be blessed.
  • Our rest hymn was We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet. The congregation stood and as I played the piano I was overwhelmed with the spirit. How grateful I am for a living prophet. Thomas S. Monson. I KNOW with all of my heart that he is called of God. Currently I am reading his biography and it is so amazing to see just how normal of a child he was. During his youth i'm sure noone knew that one day he would be the prophet. He is a normal person just like you and I.  But he was called of God. He is truly amazing. 
  • Today it hit me how grateful for the sacrament I am. With my calling, I have to sit at the piano kind of out of the way from people. I can't tell you how many times I freak out that they won't come to me. My heart starts racing and I am in panic mode. Praying that they will remember to come to me. Luckily I always have that moment when one of the passers will look at me and wink and then I know they have my back. And then I am finally at peace. I have thought to myself what i would do if they skipped me. Would I stand up?  Wave my arms around? Or since the sacrament table is next to me just nudge one of them and say umm you forgot me? I don't know how retarded I will look at that moment, but let's just hope it never happens.
In sunday school we are now in the New Testament. YAY! no offense old testament but you just aren't the same. Today we talked about the 3 temptations of Christ. Recently I had my New Testament class so all of this stuff was fresh in my mind. Pride, Passion, Power. How simple those three things seem to overcome but EVERY temptation and sin we face falls into one of those three categories. 

And last but not least in Relief Society we talked about fasting. It made me reflect on some of my memories of fasting. The first time I remember really fasting was for Kallie Keele when she was diagnosed with cancer, or for Chris Eyres when we found out about his brain tumor. I remember Justin Pack and I were fasting for Chris in the 6th grade. It was Ryan Graves' birthday and he brought treats. I was sitting next to Justin and we kind of looked at each other like "dang, that looks delicious" but we had a plan. We took our treats. Instead of giving them up and passing. We then went up to Mrs. Hogge and told her the situation. She put them in her drawer and saved them for us until the next day. I remember my ward being "HIT" with multiple occasions in the same year with opportunities to fast. But one experience that I will never forget was my senior year. My ward did a 40 day fast for Josh Pack. Each family signed up for a different day that covered a 40 day period. I remember thinking how cool that was. But then about 2 weeks ago while I was in my home ward we had this same lesson on fasting and Lisa Pack told how that fast 2 and a half years ago still blesses their family. The power of fasting is huge. 

So grateful I went to church today! And grateful for a relaxing sunday. AND.... STOKED for the byu game this wednesday! #6 SDSU @#9 BYU. Biggest game of the year. the game is sold out to the public and for student seating I am going extremely early tuesday morning to get in line for a wristband to get into the game. Sad they are doing away with camping out... but this makes it so I can still carry on with my normal life and not miss things like my tuesday temple day! Happy sunday! Thanks for reading.

1 comment: